Limitless 2017 CrossFit Open
It’s that time of the year. The CrossFit Open is upon us, and now we have an awesome opportunity to help each other reach our goals. Over the next five weeks, we will be holding a friendly team competition and team building event. Nothing really special required from you all. All you have to do is come to the box. .and we know how much you love coming to the box :).
It’s going to be a blast. Let’s get ready to have fun, build our community, and get better. The rules of the game, FAQ section, and your team Captains are below.
Rules of the Game:
- Teams have been chosen at random.
- Each team is assigned a team captain.
- The workouts will be scheduled for Saturday, with a make up on Monday. It is preferable that you do the workout on Saturday, and make it up on Monday if necessary. You do not have to do the WOD as a team, although having a team mate push you on will help!
- Team members earn points regardless of whether the athlete does Rx or scaled. For example, if Bob does the workout Rx, and accumulates 180 reps, and Tracey does the workout scaled and accumulates 200 reps, Tracey Finishes higher for her team. The goal is to push yourself within your own individual training threshold. This is notwithstanding scoring for purposes of the CrossFit Headquarters Leaderboard.
- The main mission is to simply get in the gym, have fun, smash it up, and make yourself better.
- 3 points per team member for attending a regular WOD.
- 3 point for every team member who completes a given CrossFit Open workout.
- 3 points down to 1 Bonus Point for every athlete on the team who scores in the top 3 ladies and top 3 men for the Regular WODs.
- 5 points down to 1 Bonus Point for every athlete on the team who scores in the top 5 ladies and top 5 men for the Open Workouts.
- All WODs must be logged on sugarWOD to accumulate attendance and scoring points
- 10 points to the team that wins the Spirit of the Open for the respective week.
- Captains picks - Each Thursday for the 5 open weeks The Captains will pick two athletes whose scores will count double for the following week. (This can be the captain, once picked they cannot be selected again)
- Bonus Points for Final week will be announced the Friday of that week.
- it is each teams captains job to log scores on the Excel spreadsheet each day.
Scoring closes at 8 pm the Friday after the Open workout is announced.
Limitless Open Leaderboard 2017
Captain - Natasha 'Smackdown' Spreadborough
Known for her bursts of pure power especially on the rower and for creating the best Post wod Sweat Silhouette. Natasha is ready to put it all on the line to win the Inaugural Event.
Team - Squat it like it's hot
Risk Jones, Nicola
Captain - Alex 'Mashed up' Macindoe
The Mountain of the box, Alex is the only athlete to complete wall balls having to throw down to the target. His main goal will be to beat Nigel's team, with defeat unthinkable.
Team - Snatch me if you Can
Captain - Michelle 'Renegade' Roberts
Small in stature but large in heart Michelle is known for her raw strength, lifting power and also for 'WOD Rage' during particularly tough workouts. She'll work to win or pass out trying.
Team - Kipping it real
Captain - Daniel 'Punisher' Pape
Dan has made great strides since joining and is one to watch this year. Rumoured to be 'a really nice guy' His dry wit could be crucial in earning some bonus points for his team.
Team - Tyrannosaurus Rx
Captain - Claudia 'Crusher' Cooke
Claudia is quite simply the most competitive person alive. She would (and possibly could) do all the teams workouts herself if allowed. IF she doesn't win this year there will be hell to pay!
Team - Flexy Beasts
Van Sittert, Helen
Captain - Simon 'Machine' Martin
A cardio beast, Simon is one of our founder members. He has an engine that can go on forever. His laid back attitude hides an inner competitiveness that could push his team to win.
Team - Trouble Unders
Captain Judith 'Wall-Baller' Waiting
A teacher by profession Judith. She is a sneaky strong athlete who will take no-nonsense from her 'pupils'. You'd better do your homework or you'll be in for detention!
Team - Jerk it Out
Nigel 'Bruiser' Baker
Rumored to be 5th in line to the throne Nigel is a pure blue blood. Although injury prone he is strong in all elements. Be sure that if you are on his winning team you will be given privileges that only the elite of society enjoy.
Team - Ibruprofen Terminators
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the CrossFit Open?
The Open is a five-week, five-workout competition held in the winter in CrossFit affiliates and garage gyms around the world. Workouts are released online each Thursday. This year, the first workout was announced on February 23rd, and the last will be on March 23rd. You can compete against other CrossFit gym members worldwide to see where you rank by registering on the CrossFit Games website, or you can have a friendly team and community event in your own gym. In total, you complete five workouts over the course of five weeks.
Do I have to do this?
No we can’t force you to. . . .but. . . .It’s going to be fun. So do it!!!! Additionally, the Open WODs will be the standard workouts on Saturday and Monday, so you might as well come to class on those days. If you do the workout on Saturday, we will have a different workout for you to do on Monday. You also earn points for just coming to class.
I don’t think I am good enough, and will make my team lose.
Don’t worry about that. The scoring system is designed so that everyone can contribute to the team. Points are given relative to your own individual effort. You earn points by showing community spirit and showing up for class as well as doing an Open WOD, or ending up at the top of the leaderboard. And ultimately, our CrossFit Chiltern community is the winner.
Will the workouts be hard?
Not any harder than what we already do in class. And everything will be scaled. There will be the scales provided by CrossFit for the workouts, but we will also use our own scale. The scale we use will be the same as the scaling system we currently use in the box. The goal is to provide you with a benchmark from which you can gauge your progress later on down the road. The other secret is that you have been doing past Open workouts in class from time to time. You just didn’t know it!!!!
What if I can’t make it on Monday or Saturday are the Open workouts everyday?
Doing the workouts outside of Monday and Saturday will be by extreme exception only. Coordinate with us in advance if you can’t make it, and we will try to adjust. Tuesday through Friday we will have regular workouts. As stated in the scoring section, you still earn points for your team by doing regular class workouts, and extra credit homework.
How do I sign up for a time slot on Saturday?
You can sign up in using the Limitless App for the classes on Saturday. Class times are 8am, 9am, 10am, and 11am. To make this a fun time, try to register for a class that has members in it. The classes are capped at 12.
Do I have to be registered for the CrossFit Open to participate?
Nope, you sure don’t. But if you would like to, you can register for the CrossFit Open by clicking HERE.
What if I did sign up for the CrossFit Open?
If you signed up for the CrossFit Open, you will be scored according to the movement standards put out by CrossFit HQ. This will be different than our in house scaling options, and is necessary for your score to be validated.
What happens at the end of the 6 weeks?
The open is 5 weeks long but we're going to be adding a bonus workout for a Final week with our Prize-giving night out being held on weekend of 22nd April.
What team am I on?
Your team captain will contact you. Additionally, the teams can be found by clicking HERE. If you don’t see your name on any of the lists, please send us an email or Facebook to let us know. Our eyes glaze over sometimes. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to email or send a Facebook message.
Do I have to do my Open workout the same time as my team?
Nope. Although it is encouraged, it is not mandatory. But we are not held responsible for you being kidnapped and tied to a pole.
At the end of the day, this is all about building our community. Let’s have fun and work hard together towards “The Beginning of Something Better”